Bermunchie: Dark n' Stormy Bread Pudding
If you don’t know us by now, you should know that we have a love affair with Goslings Black Seal Rum. We are constantly trying to come up with ways to use Bermudian flavours in everyday dishes you may already make on a regular. I’m not much of a baker but I do have a sweet tooth! After some brainstorming I came up with a “Bermudianized” version of a classic comfort food dessert- bread pudding.
Now what’s more Bermudian than a Dark n’ Stormy?.....(Swizzle I know- we have something in the works for that too..... stay tuned). So we worked and worked and tested a recipe until we found it to be perfect! Try it for yourself and let us know what you think!
Dark n’ Stormy Bread Pudding
For this recipe you will need:
For the pudding
- 2 cups of sugar
- 5 eggs beaten
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla butter rum extract (you can use plain vanilla or even almond if you wish!)
- 3 cups of cubed Italian bread. (Leave to stale overnight)
- Toffee bits and pineapple to top
For the sauce
- 1 cup of sugar
- A chunk of fresh ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 stick of butter- melted
- ¼ cup of black rum
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan.
- Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour bread mixture into prepared pan and top with toffee its and pineapple chunks and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.
For the sauce
Mix together the granulated sugar, butter, egg, and sliced ginger in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted. Add the rum and stir well. Pour over bread pudding. Serve warm.
Hope you enjoy!