Bermunchies: Chourico & Potatoes
Portuguese dishes seem to be very popular with our users, so we decided to share our special recipe for traditional chourico & potatoes just the way my mother taught me.
Everyone has their own take on this simple but delicious dish, but this is the way I enjoy it most. It results in a saucy dish rich in garlic and wine that you cannot resist! So here is my recipe for Traditional Portuguese Chourico and Potatoes.
Chourico & Potatoes
2 packages of chourico
4 large potatoes
1 large white onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoom paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 table spoon crushed red pepper paste
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes. The bigger they are the longer they will take to cook through so I recommend cutting them into 1 inch size pieces
2. Cut the chourico into similar sized pieces as the potatoes. Set potatoes and chourico aside.
3. In a small skillet sautee chopped onions and garlic in olive oil and butter until golden. Add in paprika, salt, black pepper and red pepper paste.
4. Add potatoes and chourico to onion mixture along with about 1-1 1/2 cups of good red wine. Add a bay leaf and let it simmer for about 20 mins or until potatoes are tender. About 15 minutes into cooking time reserve about 1 cup of cooking sauce. We will reduce this later and serve along side the dish as a type of gravy.
5. Once potatoes are cooked through transfer the contents into a greased oven safe dish. Mixture should be slightly wet and saucy. Top with dabs of butter and bake for another 10-15 mints until edges of potatoes and chourico start to brown.
6. While mixture is in the oven take the reserved sauce mixture and add some more butter and wine. Reduce until thickened. Set aside.
7. Serve on top of white rice and a dinner roll or papo seco on the side. ENJOY!