Bermunchies: Orzo Pasta Salad
This weeks Bermunchie recipe features a simple summer salad that is perfect on its own or as a side dish at your next picnic or family get together. I made this dish in about 20 minutes from start to finish and can be eaten cold or warm. As you follow my Bermunchie journey you’ll start to familiarize yourself with some of my favorite ingredients. Many of the dishes I create start with a base of onion, garlic, olive oil and several spices. This can be attributed to my Portuguese roots where most dishes start with a saucy base mixture called refogado made up of tomatoes, onions, garlic and in some cases red wine. I use this technique to give a kick to many of my dishes.
Orzo Pasta Salad with Black Beans and Chouriço
For this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
1 cup of cooked orzo pasta
1/2 can of black beans drained
1/2 package of ground chourico (can be found at all Marketplace stores)
1/2 white onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely minced
1/2 red pepper diced
2 green onions finely chopped
a handful of fresh parsley and basil roughly chopped
feta cheese & avocado to garnish (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Cook orzo pasta according to directions on package or until al dente.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat up olive oil in pan on medium heat and add onion and garlic; cook until translucent then add chourico.
3. Cook chourico and onion mixture until chourico renders its fat a bit and starts to brown. Take off of heat and set aside.
4. Add cooked orzo pasta, black beans, red pepper, parsley and basil and green onions to chourico mixture and put back onto low heat for about 7-10 mins to allow all of the flavours to meld together.
5. Plate and garnish with additional parsley and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Alternatively you can top your dish off with feta cheese or avocado for an extra layer of flavour.
Let us know if you try this recipe yourself and send us pics of your creations!