#MeatlessMonday: Pinto Bean-Quinoa Burgers
Our Bermunchies foodie contributor @freshnutz has come up with a delicious #MeatessMonday recipe that packs the flavour! It’s the perfect summer burger for those who want a lighter option. Try it and let us know what you think!
Pinto Bean-Quinoa Burgers
• 1 ½ cup cooked quinoa
• 1 small, finely chopped onion
• 1 small tin of diced tomatoes
• 1½ cups cooked pinto beans (1 15-oz tin of beans of your choosing, rinsed and drained, divided)
• 1 tbsp minced garlic
• 1½ water
1. Place onion and tomatoes in a pan, and cook over medium heat. Cook until onion has softened. Stir in ¾ cup pinto beans, garlic, seasonings, and 1½ cups water. Simmer until most of liquid has evaporated.
2. Transfer bean-onion mixture to food processor, add ¾ cup cooked quinoa, and process until smooth. Transfer to bowl, and stir in remaining ¾ cup quinoa and remaining ¾ cup black beans.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Once cooled, shape bean mixture into patties (whatever size you'd like), and place on baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, flip patties with spatula, and bake 10 minutes more. Serve on buns or by themselves. Enjoy! We decided to pair ours with a bed of spinach, avocado and Sriracha sauce. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring, try this recipe and see for yourself!
Freshnutz are two best friends sharing their healthy lifestyle journey by providing tips, tricks & motivation on all things related to exercise & healthy eating. Follow them on IG @freshnutz and like them on Facebook at Bermuda Fresh Nutz.